Moderator Kathrine

Yanni Message Board  Hop To Forum Categories  About Yanni  Hop To Forums  Yanni in the Media    Preview in The Charlotte Observer

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Preview in The Charlotte Observer Login/Join 
<YMusicMuse>
posted
The Charlotte Observer
Posted on Fri, Mar. 26, 2004

Yanni

This mustachioed synthesizer maestro who courted actress Linda Evans in the early '90s has become, for all intents and purposes, the Face of New Age. But Yanni says he doesn't like New Age any more than the people who feel the term is synonymous with boring. In his autobiography, Yanni describes New Age pretty much like any other skeptic would: "a label meant to conjure visions of artists who say `ommmmm' a lot and use the ambient sounds of tree frogs, crashing waves and waterfalls to enhance meditation." Here's what you can expect at his Wednesday performance at Charlotte Coliseum.

NO TREE FROGS
Yanni's latest album, "Ethnicity," is full of layered orchestration that incorporate inspirational, ambient and world music, recalling the complicated rock of Trans-Siberian Orchestra at times. The instrumentalist is joined by a choir that both sings and chants, while the sometimes lyrically indistinguishable voices of female vocalists Alfreda Gerald (who also tours with the Gap Band!) and Michelle Amato invoke both Enya and the Cocteau Twins' Liz Fraser.

NOT JUST ANOTHER OLIVE LOVER
Yanni grew up in Kalamata, Greece, which is famous for much more than just its olives. There, he began playing music to gain the attention of his family and later, from girls. He became a Greek national swimming champion at 14 and moved to the U.S. to attend the University of Minnesota at 18. He recently recounted his life story in "Yanni In Words."

Report This Post
Yanni Fan
posted Hide Post
The Charlotte Observer
Posted on Fri, Mar. 26, 2004
Yanni

"This mustachioed synthesizer maestro"
He doesn't play the mustache!!

"has become, for all intents and purposes, the Face of New Age"
Huh?

"joined by a choir.."
Huh?

"Michelle Amato invoke both Enya.."
I don't think she sounds like Enya at all. She's uniquely Michelle.

"..he began playing music to gain the attention of his family"
I think someone misread the book, or didn't read it.

"..and from girls."
I know, he switched instruments like any younger brother might (giggle) but didn't he write a song for himself once?

Someone was in a hurry to get a review to print. LOL Can I rewrite this one? Wink