Moderator Kathrine

Yanni Message Board  Hop To Forum Categories  About Yanni  Hop To Forums  Yanni in the Media    Review in The State - Columbia, SC

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Review in The State - Columbia, SC Login/Join 
<YMusicMuse>
posted
http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/news/local/8316946.htm

Posted on Wed, Mar. 31, 2004
Yanni lets audience soar with his music

By OTIS R. TAYLOR JR.
Staff Writer

He stands amid the chimes of his keyboards, a director with a myriad of finger snaps and hand flicks.

Ah, yes, it is Yanni.

The “Ethnicity” tour spread its wings at the Colonial Center, and about 4,000 spent Tuesday evening flying over the clouds of enchanting music.

Yanni uses few words in his music, but these words describe the night’s ethereal movements.

Dynamic. Magnetic.

Explosive.

In black leather pants and a black shirt, Yanni moved back and forth from piano to keyboards. The ever-smiling conductor always seemed to have a tight grip on the music.

Then he would let go, sending the audience spiraling as his orchestra played games of tag.

The flute battled the violin. Violins battled each other. The didgeridoo groaned against a foot-stomping percussionist, while the harp and bass traded jabs.

And Yanni watched with satisfaction as his orchestra created most of the fireworks.

Karen Briggs, the lead violinist in a pink skirt and pink hair wrap, moved like a snake as her fingers danced on strings. Briggs was a show by herself.

“Sometimes I forget I’m on stage,” Yanni said after a song. “Sometimes I forget I’m part of the show. The best part is I get in for free.”

Through the bursts of percussion and horns, which broke the hollow wail of strings and keys, it became apparent why Yanni has so many fans worldwide.
It’s because you can drive, sleep, read or drink wine to his music.

Songs like “Enchantment,” “If I Could Tell You,” “The Prelude” and “Nostalgia” can at once be electrifying and soothing.

The concert’s pace never stiffened, and Yanni’s smile never waned. And this at a show with paltry attendance for a man who is accustomed to selling out arenas.

But what else would you expect?

It was Yanni.

Reach Taylor at (803) 771-8362 or otaylor@thestate.com

Report This Post