Moderator Kathrine

Yanni Message Board  Hop To Forum Categories  About Yanni  Hop To Forums  Yanni in the Media    Preview in The Naples Daily News

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Preview in The Naples Daily News Login/Join 
<YMusicMuse>
posted
http://www.naplesnews.com/npdn/sh_local_events/article/0,2071,NPDN_14975_2754768,00.html

Yanni plays to sold-out TECO crowd on Sunday
By BETH FRANCIS, emfrancis@naplesnews.com
March 26, 2004
Naples Daily News

New Age pianist Yanni will play Sunday before a sold-out crowd at the 7,000-seat TECO Arena.

The show, which begins at 7 p.m., has been sold out for more than a month, said Kathy Medlin, a TECO front desk receptionist.

"Yanni has got a tremendous following in this area," Medlin said. "People were calling to see if he was coming here even before we had him booked."

Yanni has sold more than 20 million albums and has earned more than 35 platinum and gold album awards worldwide.

His most recent album, "Ethnicity," released last year, is his 13th album. Other albums include "If I Could Tell You," "Winter Light," "Love Songs" and "Live at the Acropolis."

Yanni's theatrical musical has been featured in many sports programs including coverage of the Olympics. He provides theme music on NBC for the U.S. Open golf tournament and other United States Golf Association events.

This is the second leg of Yanni's U.S. 2003-2004 Ethnicity World Tour. His show will feature music from his most recent album and his classics to the accompaniment by both his core band and a full symphony orchestra.

Yanni has performed in more than 20 countries and was the first major Western artist to perform and record at the Forbidden City in China and the Taj Mahal in India. Most recently, Yanni had the honor of performing the national anthem at Game 5 of the 2003 World Series.

Yanni grew up in Greece, where he learned to play piano as a youngster without any formal instruction. He always dreamed of a career in music, so he moved to the United States after he graduated from high school to make a go of it.

He landed jobs as a studio musician and composer of film music and commercial jingles. In 1986, he signed to the record label Private Music and his career went into full swing. Some of his early albums were "Out of Silence" and "In Celebration of Life." He eventually became one of Private Music's top-selling artists.

His cult following was perhaps boosted by his long-term romance with "Dynasty" actress Linda Evans, which became so well-publicized that when the couple finally decided to call it quits in the late '90s, they issued a press release to the effect.

Also last year, Yanni released the latest in a long line of greatest-hits packages, "Ultimate Yanni."

Report This Post
Yanni Fan
Picture of Christian Piper
posted Hide Post
At least it was a good show. I almost got to see him, but I thought that after I got out of the elevator on March 16th, that I saw Yanni's back. I felt that if that was him exiting the lobby, I should have ran and stopped him. The he and I could have coffee together. I was going to walk him over to the piano. We have a piano in the cafeteria.