Moderator Kathrine

Yanni Message Board  Hop To Forum Categories  About Yanni  Hop To Forums  Yanni in the Media    Yanni Performs at El Morro in Puerto Rico

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Yanni Performs at El Morro in Puerto Rico Login/Join 
<YMusicMuse>
posted
Jackie Sheckler Finch, Indianapolis International Travel Examiner
December 17, 2011

http://www.examiner.com/intern...el-morro-puerto-rico

With the historic El Morro as a backdrop, Greek superstar composer Yanni fulfilled a two-decade wish to perform at the famed Puerto Rican landmark.

On Friday night, Dec. 16, the concert pianist dazzled thousands of audience members with an outdoor concert. Mother Nature punctuated the performance with sea winds and rainstorms.

Twenty years ago, Yanni said he dreamed of appearing at the famed 16th century citadel in San Juan. “Tonight proves that dreams do come true,” Yanni told an appreciative audience.

With a set estimated to cost $3 million, the concert will be aired by PBS and a DVD will be released in 2012.

During the second song of the performance, raindrops began falling.

"Excuse me, safety comes first," Yanni said before leaving the stage. The sudden rain delayed his return for about a half hour.

The festive mood of the concertgoers kept most of them in their seats with umbrellas shared and plastic bags used as makeshift raincoats. A large sheet of plastic was held aloft to cover much of the first six rows of music lovers in a front section of the audience. Ripples of songs floated from audience members who scrunched together to stay dry.

“There is a saying Greece,” Yanni said when he returned to loud applause, “the wet man is not afraid of the rain.”

Among the concert highlights were performances of “The End of August,” “Nightingale,” and “Felitsa,” which was written for Yanni’s mother. The musical tribute was for the woman who gave him strength, and love “and taught me to go after my dreams,” Yanni said

Shortly after 11 p.m. during the song “Marching Season,” the concert was again stopped by rain. But this time, however, the stage was drenched and the rain looked as though it would continue. With two songs left to perform, the concert was ended.

“I heard what I came to hear,” Fernando Cruz said, exiting the old fortress with a big smile on his face. “This was a once-in-a-lifetime experience and I will never forget it.”

Report This Post
Yanni Fan
posted Hide Post
Thanks Muse! Smiler Smiler

Myky