Moderator Kathrine

Yanni Message Board  Hop To Forum Categories  About Yanni  Hop To Forums  Yanni in the Media    Article in Ventura County Star - Yanni's Doctoral Hooding

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Article in Ventura County Star - Yanni's Doctoral Hooding Login/Join 
<YMusicMuse>
posted
Ventura County Star
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=VENCTYENT.story&STORY=/www/story/05-07-2004/0002169452&EDATE=FRI+May+07+2004,+09:01+AM

Yanni Receives Doctor of Humane Letters From University of Minnesota

MINNEAPOLIS, May 7 /PRNewswire/ -- Yanni Chryssomallis, a 1976 graduate of
the University of Minnesota, today received an honorary doctorate of humane
letters from his alma mater in recognition for his outstanding cultural
contributions.

(Photo: NewsCom: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20040507/SFF025-a
http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20040507/SFF025-b )

Yanni's doctoral hooding ceremony was presided over by University of Minnesota President Robert Bruininks and was held in conjunction with the University of Minnesota Alumni Association's (UMAA) 100th anniversary finale and annual celebration at Northrop Memorial Auditorium on the University of Minnesota campus. The evening's program, attended by 2,000 alumni and friends of the university, included a multimedia presentation and keynote address by Yanni, as well as electronic music performances by two University of Minnesota student groups.

"Yanni is a perfect example of an alumnus who is changing the world through his music and his 'one world, one people philosophy,'" said Margaret Carlson, UMAA executive director. "Yanni is a rare artist, whose unique music defies borders and boundaries and speaks to people of all races and nations."

An honorary doctorate is the highest honor conferred by the University of Minnesota. During its 153-year history, the University of Minnesota has only presented 189 honorary doctorates to individuals who have achieved eminence in cultural affairs, public service, or in a specific field of knowledge and
scholarship. Some of the individuals who have received the Doctor of Humane Letters include Frank Gehry, Joan Mondale, Walter Mondale, Sigurd Olson, Antoine Predock, Charles Schulz, and August Wilson.

"Music has taken me all over the world and I have taken with me the open-mindedness that comes from having been raised in two different cultures and educated at a great University," said Yanni.

The University of Minnesota Alumni Association, which is celebrating its 100th anniversary in 2004, is a 60,000-member organization that creates lifelong connections to alumni, students, parents and friends of the
University, while advocating for education excellence and building pride, spirit, and community.

Report This Post
Yanni Fan
posted Hide Post
"Music has taken me all over the world and I have taken with me the open-mindedness that comes from having been raised in two different cultures and educated at a great University," said Yanni."

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk 06 May 2004 02:42 AM in the "We Wish You A Great Day Yanni On Your Special Award" thread in the Main Forum:

I hope others will heed your recommendation to maintain an open mind because it really does open up so many avenues of untested ground. An open mind, feeling what's truly inside you and becoming something original are the keys. Expanding, instead of growing from within, is necessary for the human race. And you're a point man.

Confucius maybe say: Yanni not only good student, Yanni good teacher too. Hee hee. Big Grin

Yanni Fan
posted Hide Post
Smiler
WE ARE SO PROUD OF YOU YANNI!!
CONTINUE THE GREAT WORK THAT YOU DO!!!

DR. CHRYSSOMALLIS
Dr. YANNI

That is a very special name to be proud of Smiler
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!