Moderator Kathrine

Yanni Message Board  Hop To Forum Categories  About Yanni  Hop To Forums  Yanni in the Media    Article in Minnesota Daily - Yanni's Doctoral Hooding

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Article in Minnesota Daily - Yanni's Doctoral Hooding Login/Join 
<YMusicMuse>
posted
Minnesota Daily
http://www.mndaily.com/articles/2004/05/07/9646

May 7, 2004

U gives Yanni honorary doctorate
By Amy Horst

When University Alumni Association officials thought about who they wanted to speak at their annual celebration and 100th anniversary gala, they only thought of one person.

Yanni.

The well-known composer, who graduated from the University in 1976 with a psychology degree, spoke Thursday night at the association’s celebration and received an honorary doctoral degree in humane letters.

More than 30 years ago, Yanni Chryssomalis flew into the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport on Nov. 18, 1972, checked into Territorial Hall and registered for psychology classes, he said.

While at the University, he pursued his love of music while studying for his psychology degree.

“I would sneak into the music department and go in empty practice rooms,” he said. “I played there until somebody kicked me out.”

He did, however, benefit from studying psychology. He said he learned to speak English in his introductory psychology class.

He also took a job at the Campus Club until deciding to apply for financial aid.

“For all I know, a few of you were eating dinner at the club while I was washing dishes,” he said.

After the ceremony, Yanni said speaking in front of an audience rather than performing was “nerve-racking,” but he was happy to be back at the University to receive the degree.

“I’m deeply honored that they would think of me like that,” he said.

He said he will spend Friday with his brother, who lives in the Twin Cities and also attended the University, and will visit old friends from his college days.

Alumni Association Executive Director Margaret Carlson said she was extremely pleased to have Yanni speak at the celebration.

“I had, personally, for a long time wanted Yanni to come back to speak at our annual meeting,” she said. “Through the years we’ve had people like Walter Cronkite and Ted Koppel, but they’ve not been alums.”

An anniversary planning committee decided to try to get Yanni to speak at the gala, and Carlson said it was a complicated process.

“It is much more difficult than anybody could imagine to make contact with a celebrity like Yanni,” Carlson said.

She and University President Bob Bruininks officially requested Yanni’s presence at the gala in a conference call and Carlson said she was “elated” when she found out he would come.

The evening’s theme was “Changing the World One Graduate at a Time,” and Carlson said Yanni encapsulates that perfectly.

“When we started to think about somebody who really symbolized how the University of Minnesota shaped their life and transformed their life and they went on to change the world,” she said. “Yanni seemed to be the person.”

Report This Post
Yanni Fan
posted Hide Post
LOL My major was computer science at a private college on the east coast, but you could always find me sneaking over to the theater performing on my flute in the talent show or just participating in any arts I could get my hands on, until somebody kicked me out. I even joined up with the Hello Dolly production lol. I won an award at the wrap party for that production but I won't tell you what it was for LOL I even played my flute in the campus church. Talk about acoustics!

Advice to young people - when you're at college, if you find yourself constantly sneaking over to a different part of the college, think about changing your major to what you're sneaking off to LOL. Wink

Yanni Fan
posted Hide Post
Smiler
Seems I recall talking about Doctorates one day.......Naidu means Doctor.

If I received my Doctorates Degree...I'd become....DR. Doctor or better yet...Dr. Naidu

But I must say I am so proud of your name
Dr. Chryssomallis

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! and may God Continue to Bless YOU!!!!

Yanni Fan
posted Hide Post
Smiler How I wish I could have been there to see that! I congratulate Yanni on this very special honor. A nicer person could have never been chosen. Yanni has chosen to give us something very special. I'm glad that the U of M has also realized this. A very special honor indeed. Anndrea Naidu likes the new title-I have to say I like it too! Dr. Chryssomallis-just the name demands attention!
May success follow you, wherever it leads you!

Bro #1

<FSC>
posted
Smiler Hi music2000 I too wish I could have been there. I copied the articles to add to my Yanni collection. I agree that Dr. Chryssomallis sounds wonderful. I think Yanni deserves every honor that comes his way. I think he has brought more people together through his music. Yanni is a one of a kind person. Fran sister 85

Report This Post
Yanni Fan
posted Hide Post
Thank you, YMM.
Great Article.

Be well ~

Yanni Fan
posted Hide Post
Wink

GREAT ARTICLE !!!!!

Thank you !! YmusicMuse

Yanni Fan
Picture of Beata
posted Hide Post
LOL !

I remember my mom have kidding and have chastising me as a kid saying the only book I would read is the TV guide. Little did she know later in life that thanks to my reading I was able to become a better writer, and now I have a career in television to boot !!
Silly but your real desires are always subconsious at first and come out in strange ways later on.
Something to munch on...... Razzer

Beata