Moderator Kathrine

Yanni Message Board  Hop To Forum Categories  About Yanni  Hop To Forums  Yanni in the Media    "The Waltz King, and Yanni," Chicago Tribune

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
"The Waltz King, and Yanni," Chicago Tribune Login/Join 
<YMusicMuse>
posted
Chicago Tribune
May 15, 2009

The Waltz King, and Yanni

Rieu: Long reviled by classical purists, it took Rieu 10 years to find a record company. "People like to put a label on somebody. They didn't know where to put me, so they didn't put me at all."

Dated Linda Evans?

Yanni: Yes, for many years.

Rieu: No.

Pet peeve

Yanni: "Yanni Voices" is an almost-pop album that you should never, ever, describe as New Age. Really, just don't. "Forget the New Age stuff, don't even bring that up," he says. "That is, like, funny. ... That's not what it is."

Rieu: Time magazine once called him "the superstar nobody knows." "People come to the concert and they say, 'Who's that? I've never heard of him.' And then they're surprised [at how good it is]," Rieu says.

Eerie connection to John Tesh

Yanni: Once played in a band with him.

Rieu: Both play covers of Dion's "My Heart Will Go On."

Why the concerts resemble rock shows

Yanni: "The concert has enormous energy. It's the biggest production I've ever taken out on the road."

Rieu: "The only thing that makes my concert different than a rock concert is the music. The rest is the same."

Thing he's really protective of

Yanni: The novice vocalists from the "Voices" album, with whom he's touring. "They're my kids," he says. "I'm very protective. I try to explain to them ... the strain of being on the road."

Rieu: His violin, a Stradivarius, has its own bodyguard.

On burning out, fading away, etc.

Yanni: "It's difficult to get bored because there's so much variety. I've been doing this for a long time. If anybody was going to get bored, it's going to be me

Rieu: "The only thing I want to do is go on. ... It's a nice life. Sometimes it's a little bit too much, but it's a nice life."

Report This Post
Yanni Fan
posted Hide Post
That was fun to read. Thanks Muse...another interesting take & love the answers that Yanni gave. Smiler

Every day is a 'new' day, full of opportunities, adventure and a chance to make your dreams come true ©

<YMusicMuse>
posted
Thanks for the feedback. It's so nice to know you're enjoying these articles.

Report This Post
Yanni Fan
Picture of Marilyn
posted Hide Post
Thank you YMusicMuse. That is an interesting article.. I enjoyed it alot...

"Look at the sunset. If it pleases you, you're a happy man." - Yanni

Marilyn
Love Is All

Yanni Fan
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the nice article.