Moderator Kathrine

Yanni Message Board  Hop To Forum Categories  About Yanni  Hop To Forums  Yanni's Music    "If I Could Tell You"
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
"If I Could Tell You" Login/Join 
Yanni Fan
posted
I hear an Asian theme through out the track. Can anyone tell us how this composition came about?
Thanks, Ray

Picture of Kathrine
posted Hide Post
Hello Ray,

I believe the song was written after Yanni's time away in Greece. But Yanni doesn't always tell us or let us in on why or what has drawn him to write particular songs. As you know Yanni is a very personal man and his personal feelings, he tries to keep those from interfering with what the listener is feeling directly about the music.

I myself like to conjure up my own ideas as to why or what has inspired a piece. Keeps the man and his music more interesting and fascinating don't you think. Wink

Yanni Fan
Picture of Rachel Terry
posted Hide Post
Yanni has said that he wants to convey a picture in the listener's mind through his music. I think he succeeds very well. One only has to listen to Butterfly Dance, you really can imagine a butterfly enterering a beautiful garden and flitting from flower to flower. So you can get different images from his music and that, in my mind, is the true essence of a musical genius.

Never lose sight of your dreams.

Rachel

Yanni Fan
Picture of Beata
posted Hide Post
I could not agree with you more Katherine.

Ray, I think the basic melody of the song has been with Yanni a long time, and it is perfect.

I myself like the mystery of the man, it is much more intriguing.

When I listen to Yanni music I am always dreaming and visualizing scenerios.

It is 100% better.

Although I will also say to be curious is to be human. Smiler

Beata

Yanni Fan
posted Hide Post
Hello, the idea of an asian theme came to me when I first listened to With an Orchid. In my mind, when I listen to it, I picture a great asian palace with its magnificent gardens, and a feeling of happiness mixed with sorrow that I cannot explain. That's great! I don't know if I am even close to what Yanni meant, but I like that picture.

There are other pieces like my very very very very very very favorite, Ethnicity's PLAYING BY HEARTH, that doesn't make me picture a specific existing thing, when I listen to it, I only see a bright golden color, that comes from the T Saxophone, and a series of courved lines that come and go, curving even more in the air, on a dark area, that makes them more brightful.

That is what Yanni makes me feel, and it is great!

My best regards to all of you,

PLAYING BY HEART

<Angel Lotus>
posted
quote:
I believe the song was written after Yanni's time away in Greece. But Yanni doesn't always tell us or let us in on why or what has drawn him to write particular songs. As you know Yanni is a very personal man and his personal feelings, he tries to keep those from interfering with what the listener is feeling directly about the music.

Yes, it was written after Yanni's time away in Greece, according to his book Yanni In Words. Yanni says very little about the If I Could Tell You CD except that the music for it came in a rush and was "easy" (according to another source, the preview of IICTY on the Tribute DVD).

Beyond that, Yanni hasn't specified what the story behind this particular song is. We can all speculate, but he is the only person who really knows.

Like a few have already stated, I like that about Yanni. He is very private. Let's keep the mystery, shall we? Wink

I will say that I love that CD and several of the songs on it. If I Could Tell You is just one of the many pieces he has written that I love. Smiler

Report This Post
Yanni Fan
posted Hide Post
I find that even after giving in & writing a poem yesterday, based on the original version, I still can't stop listening to it over & over. I play it twice, back to back at lunchtime, as it just grabs my soul so much. I love it, but the feelings & emotions I get from it are almost overwhelming.

Every day is a 'new' day, full of opportunities, adventure and a chance to make your dreams come true ©

<Angel Lotus>
posted
quote:
I find that even after giving in & writing a poem yesterday, based on the original version, I still can't stop listening to it over & over. I play it twice, back to back at lunchtime, as it just grabs my soul so much. I love it, but the feelings & emotions I get from it are almost overwhelming.

The If I Could Tell You CD was the first recording of Yanni's that I heard after many, many years. Originally, I heard something recorded by him that had only been given to family and friends.

I, too, played it over and over again. Later, I bought my own copy. I no longer have it.

It moved me to a flood of tears that would not stop for days, because the music touched parts of me that nobody and nothing else has ever reached.

I'm glad I heard it first of all the recordings Yanni has made. Smiler

Report This Post
Yanni Fan
Picture of LADY G
posted Hide Post
SORRY I AM COMING IN LATE ON THIS, I HAVE OFTEN WONDERED WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK OF WHEN THE SONG NOSTALGIA IS BEING PLAYED. THAT IS MY FAVORITE BY FAR.
ALSO, "THE RAIN MUST FALL" IS DEFINATELY ONE WHERE YOU CAN FEEL THE RAIN, THE THUNDER, IT SENDS GOOSE BUMPS EVERY TIME I PLAY IT (WHICH IS QUITE OFTEN)
MAYBE ONE OF THE MODERATORS CAN HELP WITH THIS ONE. WHAT ONE SONG DO YOU BELIEVE TO HAVE BEEN YANNI'S BEST BY POPULARITY? I THINK IT WOULD BE NEAT IF WE COULD GET EVERYONES OPINION AND WITH AN END RESULT WITH IN A CERTAIN LENGTH OF TIME , POST THE RESULTS. MINE AS I SAID IS "NOSTALGIA". ONLY ONE VOTE THOUGH, I KNOW ITS TOUGH!!!! LADY G.

<Angel Lotus>
posted
quote:
WHAT ONE SONG DO YOU BELIEVE TO HAVE BEEN YANNI'S BEST BY POPULARITY?

What is Yanni's best song by popular vote? I would guess Santorini or Standing In Motion. It's just a guess though. Wink

Report This Post