Moderator Kathrine

Yanni Message Board  Hop To Forum Categories  About Yanni  Hop To Forums  Yanni's Music    rate and review Yanni's albums

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
rate and review Yanni's albums Login/Join 
Yanni Fan
posted
Hi!
I am really interested in people opinions about Yanni albums.
This is my overview:

1980 - Optymistique:
probably too much dated and agressive, yet, listenable. The only melody I truly love is "Farewell" because it is magical.
rating: **1/2 (out of 5)

1986 - Keys To Imagination:
First of all, I must say that I really like album cover and it really fits with great music. This is for sure one of the best new age/progressive albums ever. Because of "Santorini" I became Yanni's fan! I simply love challenging melodies, often changes of tempo in melodies, there is nothing predictable, yet it is so magical. I am only not crazy about "North Shore Of Matsushima"
Most favorite songs: Santorini, Nostalgia, Keys To Imagination, Forbidden Dreams.

1987 - Out Of Silence:
Great follower, more agressive than previous album and probably less magical, yet more interesting, because of playing with complex compositions.
Most favorite songs: Sand Dance, After The Sunrise, Standing In Motion, Within Attraction, Paths On Water.
****1/2

1988 - Chameleon Days:
More "earthly" album. Very good album with some fine piano based songs.
Honestly, I was never big fan of "Reflections pf Passion"... somehow too cheesy with predictable chorus.
Most favorite songs: Swept Away, The Rain Must Fall, Walkabout.

1989 - Niki Nana
Another fine album following the style of previous album and with more ethnic elements. Still, not one of my most favorite albums, yet more than decent.
Most favorite songs: Someday, First Touch.
***1/2

1992 - Dare To Dream
Probably the most "mature" album by Yanni. I really love many songs from here. It sounds like Yanni finaly settle down him on Earth, yet album is filled with emotions and with many touching melodies. For example, "So Long My Friend" is so simple, yet so powerful and sad melody.
Most favorite songs: Once Upon A Time, Nice To Meet You, So Long My Friend, To The One Who Knows, Felitsa, A Night To Remember.
****1/2

1993 - In My Time
This is for sure masterpiece. Album based on piano filled with so many emotins and touching on so many levels... this is truly masterpiece.
Most favorite songs: In The Morning Light, One Man's Dream, To Take... To Hold, Whispers In The Dark.

1994 - Live At Acropolis
Nothing much need to say for this. His classics live with orchestra. "Standing In Motion" and "Nostalgia" are simply stunning here.

1997 - Tribute
I must say that this album was like discovery to me. Personaly, probably the most favorite album to me by Yanni. I can't express emotiones it evoke... positive emotions. So much improvisations by so many musicians. Everything sounds so "filled", yet not overfilled. I am happy that I discovered this great album.
Most favorite songs:
Adagio In C Minor, Renegade, Dance With A Stranger, Tribute, Love Is All, Nightingale.

2000 - If I Could Tell You
I must say that I am disappointed with this album. Everything sounds like recycling of "Dare To Dream" album to me, but there is really not one melody that would get my attention. I didn't have opportunity to listen to it more than 3 or 4 times, but it really sounds sterile and lifeless like most of instrumental music today. It seems to me that lack of inspiration and lack of new ideas was biggest problem here.

2003 - Ethnicity
This is much better to me than previous album. At least brings back memories to "Tribute" album in good way. It still sounds slightly sterile like last album and problem is probably the production, but it is much better with some truly great melodies.
Most favorite songs: Rites Of Passage, For All Seasons, The Promise (nice to hear old melody with voice), Rainmaker, At First Sight.
I still can't rate it, because I didn't have opportunity to listen to it many times, but it would be somewhere in between *** and ****

2009 - Voices:
Didn't listen to it properly yet.

Yanni Fan
Picture of Marilyn
posted Hide Post
Definitely, LATA, and Tribute.. I love "Love Songs" too...Tribute is very emotional and deep...Yanni really struggled to be able to play the Taj Mahal and the Forbidden City....It would have been a dream to be there...Yanni Live is another great combination...They are all fabulous.. Wink

"Look at the sunset. If it pleases you, you're a happy man." - Yanni

Marilyn
Love Is All

Picture of Kathrine
posted Hide Post
Hello Nix and welcome to the Message Board. Smiler

For me, each album has a favorite as well each one has one I'm not too fond of...but that's what makes it all interesting. Like with Ethnicity; there's a couple of songs that make me chuckle when I hear them, Optimystique -- Butterfly Dance actually makes me very anxious (to the point it irritates me) Big Grin -- But there are still songs on there I thoroughly enjoy.

Excellent string -- and again WELCOME.

Smiler Kathrine

Yanni Fan
posted Hide Post
I love every single album from Optimystique to Yanni Live!The concert event.
Smiler Smiler Smiler Smiler Smiler

The albums that I don't like are: Yanni Voices and Voces.

Myky

Yanni Fan
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kathrine for the welcome Smiler
I could also say something about me while I am here. I am from Croatia (Zagreb), 28 years old male and I am ... no, I am not an alcoholic Big Grin ... I am Yanni's fan and I like his music every year more and more.
First album I bought was "Devotion" and "Santorini" was song that made me buy that compilation. I am listening to his music for at least 10 years.

I would also like to mention that I love "Before The Night Ends" from "Voices" album... great rendition of "To Take... To Hold" melody.

Picture of Anne.
posted Hide Post
Hi Nix and welcome from me too. Smiler
I travelled along the coastline of your country, down to Greece, many years ago and thought it was beautiful. I visited Zagreb on the return journey. Smiler

It would be hard to pick a favourite album of Yanni's as each one becomes a favourite at different times. LATA (Live at the Acropolis) will always be special because it was the first one I listened to. After listening to that I bought all Yanni's albums and have been a fan ever since.
I hope you get a chance to see a concert one day.
Take care,

Anne

Yanni Fan
Picture of Marilyn
posted Hide Post
Hello Nix

Welcome to the Yanni message board.. We love to hear from new fans.. It is a great place to meet other fans and discuss Yanni's music and other information... Enjoy your day....

"Look at the sunset. If it pleases you, you're a happy man." - Yanni

Marilyn
Love Is All

Yanni Fan
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for welcome!
I already see this is a great place Wink

Yanni Fan
posted Hide Post
I have to disagree with you about
"If I could tell you"

and my favourate one is "Out Of Silence"