Moderator Kathrine

Yanni Message Board  Hop To Forum Categories  About Yanni  Hop To Forums  Yanni's Music    Aria, such a beautiful song but...

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Aria, such a beautiful song but... Login/Join 
Yanni Fan
Picture of Terrysown
posted
What exactly is she singing?? I was watching LATA this morning for about the gazillionth time and listening to Aria, Im wondering...are those words and what are they. I know most of the history on this song I think, about it being used in an airline commercial and all. Even that the singer loves the feta cheese, but are they lyrics or feelings??? Maybe someone knows who Aria is?? Call me ignorant.
Terry

<crackedeggg>
posted
Hi Terrysown,

Aria is based on the Flower Duet from the French Opera Lakme by Leo Delibes. I'm not really familiar with the history of that opera or the story line so unfortunately I can't tell you much more than that.

Report This Post
Yanni Fan
Picture of Marilyn
posted Hide Post
Bonnie

I take it Yanni did not write Aria? I guess just the music? It is a beautiful piece. My husbands favorite. I love Virgin Atlantic's commercials featuring Yanni's Aira! Smiler

"Look at the sunset. If it pleases you, you're a happy man." - Yanni

Marilyn
Love Is All

<crackedeggg>
posted
Hi Kauai,

Nope he didn't write it. He adapted it from the Flower Duet. He worked with Malcolm MacLaren on it.

Report This Post
Yanni Fan
Picture of Terrysown
posted Hide Post
Thank you Bonnie.Learned something. I will say tho, Yanni's production of it is magnificent, just like everything else he does. Smilertake care

Yanni Fan
Picture of Marilyn
posted Hide Post
Thank you Bonnie

I thought I had read where Yanni did not write that one. It is so beautifully done, just like all the others! Wink

Marilyn
Love Is All

Yanni Fan
Picture of Marilyn
posted Hide Post
Terrysown

Wish we could see that Opera! Wow, it has to really be a great one, Like Phantom?

Marilyn
Love Is All

Yanni Fan
Picture of Cynthia Syarto
posted Hide Post
Here is a little of the story line I copied from the booklet that came with my CD:

A young girl, little more than a child, awakens to love and dies of it. What helps her to depart "far from the real world" is a flower, for under the blinding light of India, a nightmare can don the most alluring finery: woe to whoever does not know that behind the beauty of the datura, that "adorable, brilliantly white flower", lurks a virulent poison.... (Michel Parouty)

The opera has three Acts and the Duetto takes place in Act I. Also in Act II there is another piece you may have heard and didn't know it was from Lakme known as the Bell Song.

Cyndi