Yanni Message Board
Truth of Touch Review

This topic can be found at:
http://board.yanni.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/788108624/m/6963905857

February 10, 2011, 12:11 AM
Dream Angel
Truth of Touch Review
I was just reading "Tuesday's New Music Review" by someone named Jeff Kane and here's what he had to say about the new album.

"It is currently #1 in Amazon’s New Age category, #2 in their Classic Rock category and #27 in the Pop category. If you are a Yanni fan, this one seems to be getting pretty positive reviews so check it out."

Yes, our musical genius rocks once again.
February 22, 2011, 03:06 AM
nix
I can't say that I'm too happy with new CD. There is no excitement, complexity or emotional level of his 80's and 90's albums.
It's simply too sterile and boring for my taste. I think almost same about "if I could tell you" album.
The only decent album after "Tribute" was "Ethnicity" the I really like, but the rest... simply not for me.
I don't hear in those songs emotions that I can find in songs like "So Long My Friend" or "One Man's Dream" and I can't hear excitement and complexity of songs like "Standing In Motion" or magic of "Santorini" or "Nightingale".

IMHO, Yanni simply ain't anymore what he used to be. He sounds tired and not interested anymore in making something new and interesting.
This new music is only for sleeping or meditating.
Actualy, it's not bad, but nothing stunning too. It's just there.

Sorry if I offended anyone, but that's just my opinion. I truly love many of his albums and there are at least 5 albums that I would give ***** stars, but this one is only for ** stars to me.
I'm really enjoying his music and I really think he is brilliant and unique composer, but I expected much more from him.
February 22, 2011, 09:40 AM
stewdog1
I agree Nix. This album is very derivative to me. It is more sample based than anything. A little bit of Enigma here, some hip hop there. It has "I'm So" from a previous album and 3 leftovers from the Voices album. Some sampling of his previous tunes.

However, unlike you, "If I Could Tell You" is one of my favorite albums.

I don't know if it is the Rick Wake influence or Yanni just doesn't have the creative juices he used to have or what.

While I am always a big fan of changing styles and not creating the same album over and over again, I'm just not feeling this one. Where are the complex melodies and heartfelt emotional themes? But I digress.

I'm hoping that this album grows on me. But it might be one of those that I put down for a while before picking back up.
February 23, 2011, 12:14 AM
Dream Angel
I have a feeling stewdog1 that this is going to be one of those albums that grows on you the more you hear it. I always consider this fact before I rush to judge Yanni's music....he clearly states that he doesn't like being boxed in, so I try to be as open as possible to embracing his creations. And for me, his music tells a story of what's going on in his life at a given point in time, and I find that makes it even more appealing.
February 23, 2011, 02:40 AM
nix
I think that it is normal that we can't be happy with every album by any artist, but I must agree with stewdog1 that the most possible reason that his albums aren't what they used to is the lack of creative juices.

It wouldn't be fair to say that this album is bad, but it's just not Yanni that I used to really love.

Imagine that this is first Yanni album. Would he ever became popular among so many people? I truly doubt, but that's just my opinion.

Yes, unfortunately, I'm also not big fan of "If I could tell you". To me, it sounds like weak copy of Dare To Dream.

It seems to me that Yanni set new standards with "Dare To Dream" album. It was his first really light synth music and it was great. Everytime he tried to make another light synth album like this new album or IICTY, he failed in my opinion.

Still, it could be that this new album needs more time to grow, but I doubt that I will ever feel about it what I feel for Tribute, In My Time, Keys To Imagination etc.
February 23, 2011, 07:51 PM
Dream Angel
Nix, I understand what you say, and there's no doubt that his earlier albums really hold a special place in our hearts. My God, Tribute is such a masterpiece! Nothing compares. But we can't forget that Yanni was at a different place in his life then. I usually prefer to wait until he performs his new music at a concert before I rush to judge it because that's when you see the true genius of the artist.....when he blends it all together with the orchestra. I can tell you that I have surprised myself a few times thinking I didn't like some of the music, and then it just hit me'bang'when I saw it performed live.
February 28, 2011, 01:56 AM
Dupernatural2029
in my opinion this album for me is Ok but I am little dissapoint because I thought voices project has gone but there 4 songs that used the same singers from voices project.. I suppose the album was only instrumental as the past and some songs are kinda strange.. I like so much etnicity, if I could tell you, and his part works.. actually I like all his albums except voices( just the songs were sung) and mexicanisimo and some parts of truth of touch..
March 06, 2011, 05:14 AM
albors
A personal review of Yanni 'Truth of Touch'.
Each song, listening many times, suggests me a 'link' to Yanni's past albums for the rythm, the sound in general (judgements are obviously personal and can be discussed).

Truth of Touch

01 – Truth of Touch (----> If I Could Tell You)
02 – Echo of a Dream (----> Keys to Imagination)
03 – Seasons (----> If I Could Tell You)
04 – Voyage (----> Out of Silence)
05 – Flash of Color (----> Ethnicity)
06 – Vertigo (----> Ethnicity)
07 – Nine (----> If I Could Tell You)
08 – Can't Wait (----> Yanni Voices)
09 – Guilty Pleasure (----> Yanni Voices)
10 – O Luce Che Brilla Nell'Oscurità (----> Yanni Voices)
11 – I'm So (----> Yanni Voices)
12 – Long Way Home (----> Dare to Dream / Yanni Voices)
13 – Yanni & Arturo (----> Yanni Voices)
14 – Mist of a Kiss (----> If I Could Tell You)
15 – Secret (----> Yanni Voices)

My favourite songs are:
1. Guilty Pleasure
2. Voyage
3. Long Way Home
4. Vertigo
5. O Luce Che Brilla Nell'Oscurità
6. Secret

(Truth of Touch and Seasons are beautiful songs too, the songs that I 'only like' are Mist of a Kiss and Flash of Color).
March 06, 2011, 09:30 PM
shulamite
I know that the 'new' sounds do challenge the 'trademark' of his earlier masterpieces. And yet, having a temperament of being motivated by the necessity for creative innovation, I must say that this is why I'm so impressed by Yanni's ability of re-creating himself towards a new era of time! TOT does still have that kinda 'Yanni feel' to it! And it's also comforting in a way, just to know that he's still here, musically expressing his positive energy out to all of us! His DNA, if you will... It's just refreshing!!!
And who knows, over times ahead, we may have the wonderful privilege of experiencing his (deeper) soul searching aspirations that we've all come to love and adore so much, poured out upon us once more...?
(Is there an echo in here?)... That to me is the beauty of the journey, and the journey is anything but mundane! To me it feels like a walking through a fruitful garden... it's sweet to my taste!
Gosh, hope I've not been too strong winded here.
...Tis My Truth In L ve.
March 06, 2011, 09:50 PM
Dream Angel
Shulamite, hats off to you, I couldn't put that any better if I tried. Please don't stop. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your very refreshing post. I think you comprehend our Maestro to a tee. Brilliant.