Moderator Kathrine

Yanni Message Board  Hop To Forum Categories  About Yanni  Hop To Forums  Yanni's Music    Playtime!
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Playtime! Login/Join 
Yanni Fan
posted
Is the bass note on the upbeat or on the downbeat? Ready, set, go -- ding!

(If this argument gets out of control, will someone please ask Yanni and let us know which it is? Thank you. Big Grin )

Yanni Fan
posted Hide Post
Oh c'mon, you have a 50/50 chance! LOL

Yanni Fan
posted Hide Post
I'm confused!! The bass note, (considering that we are talking about the same thing) has nothing to do with the down or up-beat, it is simply the lowest note in a chord. (usualy the root note.) But I may have misread.

Yanni Fan
posted Hide Post
No, I probably didn't explain it right. The song starts out with a fast beat. Then the bass note comes in on the opposite beat from the main rhythm of the song, in between the beats of the main rhythm, and repeats throughout most of the song. But is the song on the upbeat and the bass note on the downbeat, or does the bass note come in and repeat on the upbeat of the song's main rhythm?

Yanni Fan
posted Hide Post
Well, it really depends on the sheet music, but if had to bet on it, I would say that the "bass note" is on the up beat, considering that the bar has even up beats. The melody, is on the down beat, almost certainly, but in some songs, like the Washington Post March, by Sousa, the beat can me in two places, depending on the arrangement or the conductor. Hope this helps. What song are we talking about though?

Yanni Fan
Picture of Aaron Meyer
posted Hide Post
I know what you are referring to Hawk! The bass really does feel like it is on the downbeat. It is actually on the upbeat though. The bass drum is the down beat when it comes in. And I'm 100% sure about this, so no need to ask Yanni! Big Grin

---------------------------------------
Please check out my website!
http://www.AaronMeyerMusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/aaronmeyer

Yanni Fan
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know what you are referring to Hawk! The bass really does feel like it is on the downbeat. It is actually on the upbeat though. The bass drum is the down beat when it comes in. And I'm 100% sure about this, so no need to ask Yanni!

LMAO!!! Okay Aaron. Maybe. I think the string bass FEELS like the up beat. Always have. But how do you know Yanni didn't make the first beat SILENT and the bass drum intro comes in on the upbeat, making the bass string note on the down beat to keep the time? The song just sounds cleverly inverted. Maybe that's why he had to 'conduct' it at the show with his arm, so people don't get confused LOL. The alto sax I think it is, comes in on the down beat, as do most wind instruments. Or so it seems. However, it's like him to be different, you know. Smiler

Yanni Fan
Picture of Aaron Meyer
posted Hide Post
Actually, the downbeat was a lot clearer when they did it live. It's confusing on the recording. But if you conduct along with the recording, it makes perfect sense. The soprano sax is on the downbeat when it comes in with the melody. And the sheet music from the Ethnicity songbook confirms all of this! Smiler

---------------------------------------
Please check out my website!
http://www.AaronMeyerMusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/aaronmeyer

Yanni Fan
posted Hide Post
You cheated lol

Yanni Fan
posted Hide Post
Actually, Michelle told me that she intentionally sang it inverted so that Yanni and the entire orchestra got confused and accidentally made the upbeat the downbeat, and everyone got confused. Then Yanni said HEY, I LOVE IT, LET'S KEEP IT. Just kidding Michelle. Wink