Moderator Kathrine

Yanni Message Board  Hop To Forum Categories  About Yanni  Hop To Forums  Yanni's Music    Playtime!
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Playtime! Login/Join 
Yanni Fan
Picture of Louise25
posted Hide Post
I am so flattered and honored that you took so much time to explain all this to me Hawk.

I've always loved all sorts of music but since finding Yanni, I've realized that even when I was younger, I didn't listen to the words, don't know many words to many songs, and that I've really only listened to the background music most in life. I didn't know it then, but I do now.

Mom was a concert symphony pianist before we were born. We had a piano in the house and my sister and I would sit down and copy stuff. But mom never sat down with us and teach us anything. She had a hard life after marriage, long story. She rarely sat at that piano period, that I can remember. But it was there. I only tinkered. But as I get older, the more I want to learn to play. I know absolutely NOTHING! But I am just so darned interested in how it all works, how everyone keeps such perfect time, its so mind boggling to me, seems you have to be a sheer genius to make it look so easy as Yanni does, because I know its not! And you just don't know how often I've played these videos, to the point my family thinks I've lost it sometimes, but I try to explain to them that I'm "dissecting" it, which I am. Trying to hear every part separately- GOSH! There are so many!

And tonight I went to see the Nashville Symphony play at the university near me. You should have seen me, trying hard not to embarrase myself, trying to hold back the tears. It was very moving! I loved it! I've not been able to afford to go to a Yanni concert yet, so this was the closest I've come to one, so to speak. I think that if I ever did make it to a Yanni concert, I'd make a fool out of myself bawling! HA! But anyway after I calmed down a little, my eyes and ears were everywhere, trying to watch EVERYONE and EVERYTHING! They made it look easy too, and they were very good, but no where in comparison to Yanni and his band/orchestra!

I just think it is so fascinating, that one has the ability to compose (much less play) music that actually SPEAKS to you, in a language all its own, that is universally understood! Like a good movie that brings out the emotion in everyone! Music that speaks directly to your soul, and moves your spirit!

So there are very many reasons to be a Yanni fan.

Okay, its late. I must be tired because I'm babbling.

Tomorrow I will read this a kazillion times over while listening to playtime and see if I get it. It all makes so much more sense already. I'll be back!

Thank you, from the bottom of my heart!

D.L.
SweetLou/VF#2

"We are not human beings having a temporary spiritual experience.....We are spiritual beings having a temporary human experience".

Yanni Fan
posted Hide Post
You should be a performing concert pianist, Louise. It doesn't matter if you know nothing. You're 90% there. YOU WANT TO LEARN.

I studied theory and took years of lessons and played in orchestras and woodwind ensembles and talent contests and competitions, but my best performance is when I say fooey on it all and close my eyes and just feel it.

The technical background and knowledge of the basics, as Yanni said in the One on One video, are just tools you use to build your own. Anyone can learn anything they want once they are in that sponge mode. And I think you're spongey to music. Big Grin

zzz myself...

p.s. There are also quarter notes and eighths. My favorites are called thirds, or triple notes. That is 3 notes on one beat. That means tap your foot to the floor and then back up once. Play 3 even notes during your foot going down and coming back up only one time. You will start to hear Santorini LOL. Thirds are 'part' of 7/8 time. Big Grin

Yanni Fan
posted Hide Post
You all should be sleeping at this time Cool

Yanni Fan
Picture of Louise25
posted Hide Post
HA! I've been up and out already this morning too! Smiler

A light bulb just came on over my head a little while ago while driving home....

I knew about the 1,2 1,2 1,2,3 beat on Santorini because Yanni discussed it on an interview some time ago. And I've been reading about 7/8 time on Fries string.

But because of your explanation too, it just clicked that that equals 7! DUH! Hence, 7 beats in 8 notes, 7/8! Right? Basically anyway? COOL! (yes, baring all ignorance for the world to see! ) LOL

I think my head will start spinning with the 3rds and 4ths and 8ths though! WHEW!

Now I really gotta listen to Waltz in 7/8 more and hopefully hear it a little differently.

What other ones are there? I was listening to Keys to Imagination on Acropolis in the car. (that's the only CD I have with me in the car, is Acropolis right now) and I thought I could hear it there where I never had before....

..."Spongey Lou" LOL!

D.L.
SweetLou/VF#2

"We are not human beings having a temporary spiritual experience.....We are spiritual beings having a temporary human experience".

Yanni Fan
Picture of beths4catz
posted Hide Post
Louise, I do think you've got it!!! Santorini, Marching Season, and Waltz in 7/8 all are in 7/8 time. Music is such a fun thing to learn and to play. I miss playing my bassoon so much!!Its never too late to learn. Your heart is in the right place, now go for it!!! HUGS Beth

MAY YOU ALWAYS KNOW THE POWER OF LOVE AND THE BLESSING LOVING OTHERS BRINGS!

Yanni Fan
Picture of Louise25
posted Hide Post
Okay Hawk, after much studying and listening, I can honestly say.....I can definately NOT hear where that bass note hits! LOL! Smiler But I will say I hear Playtime in a whole new way now, and I can hear the beats in a different way that I didn't before, thinking in terms of upbeat and downbeat, but I think of course that without the experience that you all have, that comprehension would not be realistic to grasp, not right away anyway. Smiler But I'm still "spongey" Smiler, and I'll continue to pay very close attention, because I am so fascinated by it all. I so admire all of you that understand the complexities of music! Smiler

And Beth, I honestly and truly thought of you the other night when I saw the symphony. I am embarrased to tell you why I thought of you though...Frowner But here goes...It is because I knew you played bassoon in an orchestral setting, and I sat and wondered which instrument was the bassoon that Beth plays! Okay, you can laugh now.....Smiler

D.L.
SweetLou/VF#2

Yanni Fan
posted Hide Post
Hi spongey lol. The bassoon is the one that looks like a clarinet on steroids, with a long reed. They're neat instruments.

I think the most difficult thing in music, especially on the flute, is to stick to one key. Unless you stay well-practiced, I find it difficult to remember what all the notes are in the complex keys. Sometimes I get lucky and the fingers remember which notes to hit without going out of the key, but when there's more than 3 sharps or flats, I tend to veer off the key after being rusty over the years. When that happens, I have to not play it by ear and actually write down the notes and memorize them. Rhythm isn't that difficult, unless you're being recorded or playing along with someone else. Then you've gotta get that right on cue also. It's not only an art, it's a science too. Big Grin

Yanni Fan
Picture of Louise25
posted Hide Post
LOL! You're too funny!

Good point about the rhythm being an art and science. I think that is one thing that blows my mind the most about Yanni, the timing is so impeccable, always perfect. And I always wonder, "how do they do that?"....Smiler

D.L.
SweetLou/VF#2