Moderator Kathrine

Yanni Message Board  Hop To Forum Categories  About Yanni  Hop To Forums  Yanni's Music    My opinion about the dvd "Yanni Voices Live in concert"
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
My opinion about the dvd "Yanni Voices Live in concert" Login/Join 
Yanni Fan
posted
Yesterday I watched the DVD "Yanni Voices Live in concert" for the first time..so, I'd like to express my opinion about it here on the board.

I've always loved every single Yanni's DVD and I've always loved every change in his music...but I have to tell the truth..I don't like the new DVD "Yanni Voices Live in Concert"..sorry..
Yes, there are 4 wonderful pieces: the first song "Nican" ( which is absolutely fantastic!) "Within Attraction","Santorini" and "The Storm". And let me add that it's really great to see Yanni's orchestra on stage .Those musicians are the best!
But the reason why I didn't like this new DVD is that it didn't move me...
The concert is technically perfect, but it didn't communicate anything to me, except for a superficiality that surprised me..I don't know how to explain it, but I found this concert very commercial and superficial..
It's something that I've never found in the old Yanni's DVDs ( LATA,Tribute,etc..).They had a beauty, a depth that I've always loved.. Mainly because those concerts were always about the music..
This new DVD is what it is: just entertainment... and a good way to promote these 4 singers ( that's the main goal of this project, right? ).
Yanni's music and concerts have always been more than simple "entertainment"...Adding lyrics and people who sing and dance on stage (or on a piano,LOL!) adds nothing to what was already perfect and beautiful..That music was wonderful as it was and I can't believe that now seems to be similar to something else..something that sounds like Mainstream pop or pop-opera (an attempt to "imitate" some famous Italian pop-opera singers?)
I must say that now I understand the comments about this concert and this new format posted by several fans...I'm not impressed either..4 instrumental pieces are not enough in a Yanni's concert ( personally , I could listen to those great musicians for hours....). It's a pity that the sound of the piano and of the orchestra is not the main important thing,"the star" of the show anymore..

I could talk for hours about the new versions of old songs, but I will not post other comments(I've already expressed my opinions here on the board..). I just want to say that "Niki Nana" sung by Alfie is 1000 times better than the new version (what a difference..), and that I didn't like the new songs with lyrics. If I compare them to the beauty and magnificence of Yanni's old music and compositions, I must admit that there's a huge difference..and if these songs represent the future of his music (and what he will do in the future)..well, I don't know what to think..

In my opinion nothing compares to the old concerts..they were 10.000 times better.They were perfect.They were special. That music and those concerts still move me after all these years..In my opinion, that is Yanni and his wonderful music...
An original instrumental composition is not like an "empty box"...it has its language, it communicates emotions..and if you add lyrics that song changes, it starts telling a story..a story that is completely different..a story written by someone else. And the result you get is just attemp to chance the music and do something similar to Mainstream pop or commercial pop..
Sorry, but that's my opinion..an opinion that is different..
I'm not happy to post a negative review here on the board..But I think that a great artist deserves true and honest comments from the people who know his music very well. And I am one of them.

Myky Smiler

Yanni Fan
Picture of Sam_Hel
posted Hide Post
I did not see the DVD but I heard her music with the words and I too prefer when there are no words.
On the other hand I like the voice of Nathan (but it is by the fact that I am an opera singer, lol)

L'émerveillement est le premier pas vers le respect

www.yannifrance.com
http://yannicommunity.com/profile/SamHel

Yanni Fan
posted Hide Post
Hi Myky,

I just wanted to say that I appreciate your review of the concert and I'm glad you finally got to see it. Smiler

I have been all over the board on the addition of lyrics. We all have different likes and dislikes and each opinion is worthy of consideration, especially when presented in an honest and respectful fashion as you have done.

I have grown to love the new songs with lyrics and the four young voices, and I understand Yanni's desire to try something different. I do understand what you are saying about the difference in the depth of emotion evoked. That is the reason I have compartmentalized the two sets of music in my head - one is pure Yanni which cannot be labeled and the other is pop/rock entertainment. I love them both for different reasons, but that is just me and I know others will not agree.

Every opinion is valid. Thanks for taking the time to write your review and sharing it with us here. You are a great fan! Smiler

Patricia

Yanni Fan
Picture of Marilyn
posted Hide Post
Myky

I agree with you that Yanni's instrumental music is the "very best" and I hope we do see it again..It is very special and does remain with us everyday, every year... I did enjoy the Yanni Voices Concert, it was a different side of Yanni and I enjoyed watching him perform there on the stage again.. I understand your opinion and I agree that everyone has their own view on Yanni's new direction. Wink

"Look at the sunset. If it pleases you, you're a happy man." - Yanni

Marilyn
Love Is All

Yanni Fan
posted Hide Post
Hi Patricia,Kauai,Sam Smiler
Thanks for your posts.I really appreciate them Smiler

Myky

Yanni Fan
Picture of Sam_Hel
posted Hide Post
I have about it to speak with the French fans, they think as you

L'émerveillement est le premier pas vers le respect

www.yannifrance.com
http://yannicommunity.com/profile/SamHel

Yanni Fan
posted Hide Post
Merci,Sam Smiler
Je crois que il y a beaucoup de fans qui préférent la musique instrumentale de Yanni et que pensent que il y a une grande différence entre le concert "Voices" et les autres (Live at The Acropolis,Tribute,etc..)

Myky

Yanni Fan
posted Hide Post
Dear myky,

I relished in your post, and feel the same in so many things you stated. Yes it is not the same for me either, as I embraced the beautiful pure music so many times, and received so much in return. I still just find myself playing the orchestration, as it feeds my soul, and touches me so very deeply. Many writings, many thoughts, many soul searching moments have come about from peacefully listening to the beautiful, to me, angelic expression from the galaxies and beyond through the maestro. As he gave up 'self' in receiving, he did receive, as we all can do.

Thank you for your post, as well as others. The freedom of expression here, as long as it is done with good taste, further expands conscious moments of reflection from all.

Your beautiful paintings, I am sure, have been accomplished while listening and having many moments of the prior offerings from Yanni as they poured deeply within you. The same applies to me in whatever moment I need nourishment. Going to the place of peace, freedom of soul for each, as I feel he has given us that receive it, is the ultimate gift. He has given much, and he has more to give, I pray, in and with his first type of demonstrations, and that there will be more in time.

I also realize there are others who embrace the new, both. As long as it can touch, nourish the sense of pure enjoyment, good for them as they embrace the new direction. He has helped promote young people who are now on their way of acknowledgements, but now I pray he returns, turns back the clock so to speak, and gives birth to what will stand the test of time for so many here on Earth that listen, and are nourished to such capacity that he gives with love to others.

Thank you for your thoughtful, truthful post.

Lovingly,
Dara

Love Reflected In Love. How Simple. It encompasses all.

Yanni Fan
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your beautiful words,Dara SmilerYour posts are always wonderful.. SmilerAnd thanks for the compliments Smiler
Yes,it's true..His wonderful instrumental music has always inspired me..It's something really important in my life..

I really hope that he returns to his roots and to the original language and meaning of his music and to its spiritual message..I still believe that this kind of music (instrumental music)has an enormous power to communicate and inspire.
I think that the World needs this music..
And I pray that my favorite composer doesn't forget his musical roots and his unique philosophy about music..A philosophy and a uniqueness that I've always admired and that I can't forget..

Myky

Yanni Fan
Picture of wheatfreelori
posted Hide Post
I agree with you, myky.